Basics Of Allergies & What To Do About It
Allergies are a complicated phenomena. They are very different for every person - an extremely individualized health issue. Basics of allergies are this:
1. Your immune system overreacts to taking or inhaling a usually harmless substance and it triggers an allergic reaction. (i.e. peanuts are deadly to some people, fine for others) It can be a food, medicine or plant. Sometimes it is pollen from a certain plant and it triggers hay fever.
2. When your immune system is in contact with the culprit, then your immune system releases histamines to various parts of your body; lungs, mucous membranes, nasal passages, etc. This results with inflammation and a various result of reactions like wheezing, sneezing, itching, sore throats and tearing up.
3. Then you are miserable!
1. Really pay attention to the triggers. I have known people to solve their allergy issues because of knowing the culprit (even the specific pollen bothering them) and finding a specific remedy for it. This takes work and a lot of NOTICING, but worth it if you suffer from seasonal allergies.
2. Once narrowing down the problem, obviously if you can avoid it, do that first! (i.e. my sister is deathly allergic to grapes, so easy for her to avoid).
3. Find natural helpers to ease the effects of allergies (we have a great one if you click on that link), and also do some detective work into herbs that really help to ease your issues personally.
No matter what (especially with SEASONAL allergies) since inflammation and comprising of the immune system is the problem, there are a few natural remedies that you can immediately start using to help:
1. Stinging Nettle: Doses of CONSISTENT use of Nettle can help the effects of histamine released in the body because of it's strong anti-inflammatory properties. Quote from Livestrong, "Low doses of stinging nettle can be used to counteract the effects of hay fever due to its strong anti-inflammatory effects. A 2009 report published in the journal "Phytotherapy Research" state stinging nettle demonstrated the ability to inhibit the inflammatory process associated with seasonal allergies*."
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: Andrea has had seasonal allergies since moving to Southern Utah. Using Nettle in her everyday diet a couple times a day has made a HUGE difference for her personally.
2. Cayenne: Cayenne is considered as a "King Herb". It heals the body. When experiencing inflammation from allergies, Cayenne will help to release the mucous from your body before it builds up to fast. More detailed information about Cayenne.
3. Butterbur: This quote from WebMD says as much as we could about this herb being a GREAT antihistamine option:
"Among those generating the loudest buzz right now is the European herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus), which, says Mary Hardy (MD), "has had some very impressive clinical trial results."
In one study, published recently in the British Medical Journal, a group of Swiss researchers showed how just one tablet of butterbur extract (Ze 339) four times daily was as effective as a popular antihistamine drug in controlling symptoms of hay fever -- without the traditional symptom of drowsiness that sometimes occurs. In a second study, presented at the 60th annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI), a group of British researchers put their stamp of approval on butterbur's effectiveness in quelling symptoms of grass allergy."
4. Goldenseal: This herb is popular for so many things. The anti-inflammatory properties of this herb are quite impressive. These properties make it potentially very powerful for those suffering the effects of histamine release. However - only use this herb for 3 weeks at a time, because it can build up in your tissues and become toxic. If you have allergies and you try it for 3 weeks, you should know by that time if it is going to help your body!
Why haven't we put together a product specifically for allergies?
The reason for this is because every body is SO DIFFERENT. What works for one person does not work for another with allergies. It is a very individualized problem.
However, we do believe the Flaming Throat Relief offers the best help for the effects that allergies can cause. It is a GREAT immune system builder as well.
Anxiety R&R has a high amount of Nettle in it as well.
*Herbs Act Best As Natural Anti-Histamine - Livestrong
We are the NMM's! Read more about us by clicking on the photo.
Build your knowledge and storage of herbs by joining our club. Under $7.50 for monthly products!