Tis the season of "the common cold" going around (and sometimes worse!)
The instant those snowflakes hit the ground doesn't it feel like throats start to get sore, noses get stuffed up and the tissues start building up? What are a few things about your common cold you should know about in order to fight it and, most importantly, GET RID OF IT?
1. REMEMBER: The common cold is a virus... well, rather, lots of viruses. Over 200 viruses to be specific. A virus is not curable and there are SO many strains of it that there is just no way to vaccinate against it. So, keep in mind that having a really good habit of washing hands in your home is tip-top priority with so many kinds of viruses that can strike.
2. HOW DO VIRUSES WORK?: When you "catch" a cold (to be more truthful, we think more often we "eat" our colds. Always look at your diet first as the problem to be fixed, then build on that) the virus attaches itself to the mucous membranes of your nose and throat.Basically it is like a terrorist that hijacks the cells that live there. It forces them to reproduce and replicate more virus cells. When your body tries to fight it then "signs" start to happen, like sneezing, coughing, congestion, sore throats, low grade fevers, mild fatigue, etc.
3. ARE NATURAL REMEDIES WORTH IT?: Any remedy that you can take truthfully are more aimed at easing the signs and symptoms to help keep you comfortable. Your immune system has a lot of battles going on in order to get that virus out of your body. Using natural medicine remedies are (in the NMM opinion) are most effective because they also help to boost your immune system getting to the root of the issue instead of just focusing on the symptoms. Remedies really need to be the kind that get down and dirty, not just put a bandaid on the problem.
4. DILIGENT APPLICATION: One reason why some people don't see as much relief with natural medicine remedies is because they simple do not apply it enough. Mesha, the Cardiac Nurse on our team, put it very well:
"It is very important to remember when using 'natural' remedies, of any kind really, whether it be oils or herbs, that generally you will need to use the remedy frequently (sometimes every 30-60 minutes depending on the condition and how acute it is) to get the best effect. They are not 'extended release' as many pharmaceuticals are, and because they are natural, usually applying them often* will not be irritating or noxious."
5. WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT: First, look at your lifestyle. Common colds can last a couple months for some people because their diets are horrible and their stress level is high. Nine times out of 10 if you improve your diet and decrease your stress level, your particular common cold virus dissapates.
After evaluating that, if you want to give your body a few boosts to help your common cold go away faster then here are a few applications and recipes that we recommend (Click on links for details):
*With the exception of "hot" essential oils and "hot" herbs, like oregano oil, cinnamon oil, clove oil, cayenne, etc.
Remember - if you are having SEVERE ISSUES with a cold or flu and you are overly concerned about your overall health and life, please see a medical professional.
We are the NMM's! Read more about us by clicking on the photo.
Build your knowledge and storage of herbs by joining our club. Under $7.50 for monthly products!